I love her music.
I found out last week that Enya has a new CD, "And Winter Came", coming out here in the US on November 11th and I couldn't be more excited. I think she has one of the most angelic voices I've ever heard...so clear and emotional.
Now, I do know that some people consider her "just elevator music" or "music to nap by" (which, to me, isn't a bad thing) and that a select few just hate "that kind of music".
But, for those of us who are touched in some way by her etherial voice...she's a welcome soothing calm in an, othewise, chaotic and unpredictable world.
Love her or hate her, you've gotta admit....she's done pretty well for herself. Here are just a few facts:
- She started out singing with her other siblings in the group Clannad
- She has won four Grammys
- She has performed in 10 different languages
- Her trademark sound is achieved by layering her voice as much as 80 times in one song (the most was 500 times)
- She is a mezzo-soprano
- She has sold over 70 million albums without ever going on tour
- She is worth over 136 million dollars
- She lives in a castle in Ireland
- She has a full-time security team at her castle (which also has a panic room)
- She's the sixth of nine children
- She's 47 and has never been married
- Her music is known to give chills and make people spontaneously cry
I pre-ordered my copy from Amazon yesterday (they're only $9.99 right now) and am looking forward to it wafting down from the heavens and into my mailbox soon.
Until then....here is the video for the first single that will be released off of her new CD.